Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Fencing Association
The Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Fencing Association (MACFA) is a regional NCAA men's fencing conference, with both club and varsity members. Fencers must be NCAA-eligible to compete.
As of May 2013, the conference has 16 members separated into three groups.
- Cornell University (Ithaca, NY)
- Lafayette College (Easton, PA)
- Drew University (Madison, NJ)
- Rutgers University (Piscataway, NJ)
- Haverford College (Haverford, PA)
- United States Military Academy (West Point, NY)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (Hoboken, NJ)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (Newark, NJ)
- Hunter College (New York, NY)
- Yeshiva University (New York, NY)
- College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)
- University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)
- University of Maryland (College Park, MD)
- Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD)
- United States Naval Academy (Annapolis, MD)
Each group attends three MACFA meets over the course of the regular season: one round robin within the group and a meet against each of the other two groups. Over the course of the season, every team fences a dual meet against each other team.
To qualify for the championships, a team must have fenced all other teams in the conference during the regular season. The team standings, however, are determined exclusively by the championships, at which each team designates an A strip, B strip, and C strip in each weapon. All A strips fence each other, all B strips fence each other, and all C strips fence each other. Teams are ranked overall by total number of championship bouts won across all weapons, and within weapons by total number of championship bouts won in that weapon. A small number of fencers qualify for individual championships based on their performance in the team championships, and compete for individual standings in standard pool and direct elimination format.